About Me

My Photo
Hello! I love to share things that I love on my personal Pinetrest, Twitter and Instagram account. I started getting friends of friends following me. So I looked into blogging and started following a few sites. I noticed most of them had one thing missing.... They didn't speak to me as a young professional working 40+ hours a week, shopaholic on a budget, newly wed, first time homeowner & habitual dieter. Many of the DIY projects & recipies took more time & creativity then I had available. Plus, a good amount of the fashion & beauty suggestions were out of my budget. If any of this describes you follow me, write me, & send me things you love so I can share it!

Monday, October 27, 2014

thredUP:: Donate Your Clothes for Cash & Charity

Last month, I shared with you my experience with Fashion Project. I donated gently used clothes and received a $40 Nordstrom Gift Card. Plus, Fashion Project donates 55% of the net proceeds to a charity of your choice. The only restriction is the donated clothes needed to be from a list of approved brands. When I donated a month ago it was much move flexible with brands like Aqua & Banana Republic. Now, it's a higher price point from Chanel to Parker. Still a great idea with a noble mission.
I was sharing this with my sister-in-law and she told me that she donates to thredUP.  They accept clothes, shoes, accessories & bags.  From brands like Old Navy to Joie.  On average she received $10 each for her items.  Anything that threadUP resells for $20+ goes on consignment.  If you don't agree with their asking price you can realist your item and receive a % of the sale.  I decided to investigate for myself...


Right now, thredUp is waving the $4.95 deposit fee to order a bag.  You can chose to take a gamble and not request return shipping.  Another option is pay $12.99 so they can send back the items they aren't going to buy.  This isn't taken upfront but deducted from your overall sales.  They have a nifty calculator so you can get an idea of what your clothing is worth to them.  thredUP has a charity component as well.  You can use them as a vehicle for school fund raisers, camps or a non profit.



I've cleaned out my closet of clothes, accessories and shoes.  I send items from Express Dresses to NWT belts to my coveted DVF (it doesn't fit me anymore).  I'm looking forward to earning some cash for my gently used and new clothes.  I'll post a follow up article on the results!




No comments :

Post a Comment